Friday, January 2, 2015

Working On One Of Mom's Scrap Quilts......

My mother is the person who can make a quilt out of anything.  She is always cleaning out the scrap bins that runneth over from cutting out quilts.  She uses all those scraps to piece together tops for philanthropy for our guild.  I have lost count of the number of quilts she has made for Habitat for Humanity for our guild.

This below is one of the current quilts I am quilting for her.  This is a string pieced scrap quilt she pieced from all of those pieces that would have been thrown out in the trash.  At $10-12 per yard for fabric, this is an amazing saving for us.  This is the quilt in my long arm while I'm quilting it.


I LOVE looking at the fabrics and remembering where they were used in the original quilts we pieced.  Below is a picture of the free-hand quilting I'm doing on the quilt.  I love just quilting away with a design that pops into my head.
In the next picture you can see the scrappy string pieced border that she did.  I love how those little pieces make such a great border.


She pieced the pieces onto phone book pages, then we used the Accuquilt to cut them into 4-inch x 6-inch pieces.  She then just pieced the pieces end to end and pulled the paper off. 
Nice finish to a scrappy quilt.

Happy Quilting,
Shelia


No comments: